Who is Behind Clean Energy’s Big Names? IACC Session Report
Key recommendations for the future
- Use BO data to address corruption risks in mineral licencing, from exploration to major mining projects:
- monitor and legislate to prevent the involvement of PEPs in licences;
- collect and publish BO information at time of licence applications – this is a key moment when countries have the most leverage and public interest is high;
- cross-check BO data that is collected against public registers where possible.
- Make BO information available at every relevant stage of the value chain and use it for due diligence, creating disincentives for corruption:
- require BO information from suppliers;
- do not partner with companies that fail to identify ultimate beneficiaries.
- Improving BO data quality, accessibility, usability, and interoperability continues to be a priority:
- effective implementation of BOT reforms means taking an iterative approach;
- Zambia and Ukraine are countries that exemplify this approach.
Next page: How can we scale up the solutions discussed in the session?